A Federal judge shot down a lawsuit by the Isle of Capri & Racing at Pompano Park that will allow the Seminole casinos in Florida to continue to offer blackjack, a victory for the Seminoles.

Other gambling establishments in South Florida were not happy when a compact was signed between the Seminoles and Governor Charlie Crist allowing blackjack and baccarat at their Florida casinos. Then the compact was voided last week.

When that happened casinos in Florida rejoiced and hoped that they would once again be on equal ground with the Seminoles. Riding the wave of emotion, the Isle Casino & Racing tried to hurriedly get a judge to rule to shut down the blackjack games.

Today the ruling came down on that lawsuit and it was a good one for the Seminoles. A Federal judge ruled in favor of the Seminoles, claiming that he did not have the authority to stop the blackjack games.

“Although there is no alternative forum for PPI to litigate its claim, in equity and good conscience this case cannot proceed without the Seminole Tribe,” said U.S. District Judge Stephan P. Mickle in a ruling that was released in Tallahassee Wednesday.

While the Seminoles are thrilled with the decision, it leaves the smaller casinos to wonder what their next move could be. “We are evaluating the judge’s ruling and will decide what steps to take,” said spokeswoman for the Isle of Capri Casinos and PPI, Jill Haynes.

The Seminoles were not planning on stopping the blackjack gambling anyway until the situation was resolved federally. Now, they can continue to operate the games without worrying about any interference from the law..

Leave a Comment